Monday, August 25, 2008

Harder than it would seem...

Knitting with plastic bags is harder than it would seem. At least with my Denise interchangable knitting needles. I was tempted to dunk them in flour to see if the plastic would slide easier but wasn't in a place to get flour when I thought of it and it sounded awfully messy too.

I did get a nice little swatch done, however, on the bus as I was making my way from down town Seattle to Mill Creek and I realized that I wouldn't be able to use the guage that was recommended in the pattern I'm working on. Well at least because I don't like the way it looks.
So I bound off my stitches so I would have it as a sample, but so far the experiment of knitting with plastic bags has been great. I spent about two hours on Thursday night laying out all my bags and stacking them according to color. I had a lot more brown than I thought and quite a few clear ones. I'm eager to knit the clear ones to see how the spots of color look.
Over all I learned that plastic bags stretch as you knit and the plastic doesn't fill in the little knitted "V's" like fiber does. I guess this is kind of a "duh" but I really didn't know what to expect. I was surprised that not a single person leaned over on the bus and said, "Uh, what the heck are you doing?" as I have had many a stranger strike up unprompted conversations with me before. It was nice not to be interrupted though. I was just dissapointed I couldn't plug the Knit Revolution. I need to carry fliers around with me. Umm, speaking of fliers, I really need to get on that. I only said I would do that a month ago. Whoops!

No comments: